'Mama' wins weekend box office; 'Silver Linings Playbook' makes leap from 10th to 3rd
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Where available, latest international numbers are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Tuesday.
1. "Mama," $28.1 million. (Review by The News-Herald's Mark Meszoros: Luke-warm 'Mama' gets good performances from Chastain and others, ultimately shows us too much)
2. "Zero Dark Thirty," $17.6 million. ($770,000 international.) (Review by Meszoros: Bin Laden hunted in 'Zero Dark Thirty,' one of year's best films)
3. "Silver Linings Playbook," $11.4 million. ($700,000 international.) (Review by The AP's Christy Lemire: Charming 'Silver Linings Playbook' has great performances from Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence)
4. "Gangster Squad," $9.1 million. ($5.7 million international.) (Review by Meszoros: 'Gangster Squad' gets the job done, if sloppily)
5. "Broken City," $9 million. (Review by Lemire: Damaged 'Broken City' has Wahlberg, Crowe, Zeta-Jones collecting paychecks)
6. "A Haunted House," $8.3 million. ($1.6 million international.)
7. "Django Unchained," $8.2 million. ($48.1 million international.) (Review by Meszoros: With fun, vulgar and violent 'Django Unchained,' Waltz, Tarantino again a terrific tandem)
8. "Les Miserables," $7.8 million. ($19.4 million international.) (Review by Meszoros: Director, female stars make 'Les Miserables' a winning adaptation)
9. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," $6.4 million. ($13.2 million international.) (Review by Meszoros: 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' has familiar ring to it)
10. "The Last Stand," $6.3 million. ($1.3 million international.) (Review by Lemire: Schwarzenegger's 'The Last Stand' a surprisingly fun action romp)
Wonder what's coming to theaters this year? Check out Mark Meszoros' 2013 movie preview.
-- Cheryl Sadler | CSadler@News-Herald.com | @nhcheryl