'Texas Chainsaw' knocks 'Hobbit' out of first place at weekend box office
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Where available, latest international numbers are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.
1. "Texas Chainsaw 3-D," $23 million. (Review by The AP's Frank Schenk: 'Chainsaw' loving homage to '74 original)
2. "Django Unchained," $20.1 million. (Review by The News-Herald's Mark Meszoros: With fun, vulgar and violent 'Django Unchained,' Waltz, Tarantino again a terrific tandem)
3. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," $17.5 million ($57.1 million international). (Review by Meszoros: 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' has familiar ring to it)
4. "Les Miserables," $16.1 million ($14.5 million international). (Review by Meszoros: Director, female stars make 'Les Miserables' a winning adaptation)
5. "Parental Guidance," $10.1 million. (Review by The AP's Michael Rechtshaffen: You can go only so wrong with 'Parental Guidance')
6. "Jack Reacher," $9.3 million ($22.3 million international). (Review by The AP's Christy Lemire: In twisty thriller 'Reacher,' Tom Cruise oozes low-key charisma)
7. "This Is 40," $8.6 million. (Review by Lemire: Apatow's latest comedy, 'This Is 40,' shows growth, reunited Rudd, Mann)
8. "Lincoln," $5.3 million. (Review by Meszoros: 'Lincoln,' powered by Daniel Day-Lewis' portrayal, engrossingly brings to life crucial bit of presidential history)
9. "The Guilt Trip," $4.5 million. (Review by The AP's Todd McCarthy: ‘Guilt Trip’ a flick only a mother (or Streisand fan) could love)
10. "Promised Land," $4.3 million.
-- Cheryl Sadler | CSadler@News-Herald.com | @nhcheryl