'Possession' wins holiday weekend box office
I'm indifferent about most of these movies in the top 10. The one movie out right now that I'd really like to see is "Sleepwalk With Me."n If you're not familiar with the concept of the movie or with its star Mike Birbiglia, you should take a listen to his monologue on which the movie is based. It's the most recent episode (Aug. 28) from The Moth podcast and definitely worth a free download.
From The Associated Press:
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Where available, latest international numbers are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Tuesday.
1. "The Possession," $21.3 million ($3.5 million international). (Review by The AP's Frank Scheck: Matisyah, Kyra Sedgwick can't exorcise demons of low-rent 'The Possession')
2. "Lawless," $13 million. (Review by The AP's Christy Lemire: 'Lawless' a visceral, fitful fever dream)
3. "The Expendables 2," $11.2 million ($20 million international). (Review by The AP's Justin Lowe: 'Expendables 2' provides crucial end-of-summer action)
4. "The Bourne Legacy," $9.4 million ($12.6 million international). (Review by The News-Herald's Mark Meszoros: 'Bourne Legacy' solid, but feels like it’s keeping things warm for Damon)
5. "ParaNorman," $8.8 million ($3.1 million international). (Review by The AP's Jake Coyle: Weak writing trumps powerful puppetry in 'ParaNorman')
6. "The Odd Life of Timothy Green," $8.5 million. (Review by David Germain: 'The Odd Life of Timothy Green' fails to inspire)
7. "The Dark Knight Rises," $7.9 million ($46.4 million international). (Review by Meszoros: 'Dark Knight Rises' overly ambitious, but Batman end is satisfying)
8. "2016: Obama's America," $7.1 million.
9. "The Campaign," $7 million. (Review by the AP's Michael Rechtshaffen: 'The Campaign' is flimsy political satire)
10. "Hope Springs," $6 million. (Review by the AP's Christy Lemire: Streep, Jones give 'Hope Springs' real punch)
— Cheryl Sadler | CSadler@News-Herald.com | @nhcheryl