Best of the Bat trilogy
Warning: Plot spoilers for The Dark Knight Rises are included in this blog.
With enough perspective (i.e. multiple viewings of The Dark Knight Rises) in tow, it's time to take stock of Christopher Nolan's epic Batman trilogy.
Epic scenes, epic characters, movie lines, plot twists and cool gadgets have defined Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. With so many, it's difficult to gauge which are the best of the trilogy, but let's give it a shot. Here we go:
1. Bruce Wayne/Batman: Nolan's trilogy dove deep into the psyche of Bruce Wayne, and delivered a fascinating, riveting tail.
2. Jim Gordon: Gary Oldman as Gordon was perfectly cast.
3. Alfred Pennyworth: Wayne's father figure provided much-needed comic relief throughout the three films.
4. Lucious Fox: Bruce: "What's that?" Lucious: "The tumbler? Oh, you wouldn't be interested in that."
5. Selina Kyle: Anne Hathaway in a full-body leather outfit: Thank you Nolan.
1. Joker: Slam dunk.
2. Bane: That voice ... absolutely love it.
3. Ra's Al Ghul: Intellectually, Batman's equal.
4. Jonathan Crane/Scarecrow: The only villain to appear in all three films.
5. Carmine Falcone: Tom Wilkinson great as Gotham's crime lord in Begins.
1. Tumbler: Gordon: "I gotta get me one of those."
2. Batman's cape: Love those wings.
3. Skyhook: Don't try this at home, kids.
4. Batpod: A quarter of the Tumbler is pretty good too.
5. Grapple gun: Seriously, who doesn't want one of these?
BEST PLOT TWISTS
1. Bruce survives (The Dark Knight Rises): For a long time, I felt Nolan would kill off the caped crusader, then cooled off that theory. The director had me at the film's conclusion, and what a pleasant surprise to see Bruce alive and well.
2. Ra's Al Ghul's true identity (Batman Begins): Portrayed as Al Ghul's trusty sidekick, Henri Ducard throughout, Liam Nesson steals the show at the film's conclusion as the leader of the League of Shadows.
3. Batman takes the rap (The Dark Knight): No one could have guessed the Dark Knight taking the blame for Harvey Dent's murders.
4. Blake takes mantle from Bruce (The Dark Knight Rises): John Blake's future could be as the next Batman, or as Robin or as Nightwing. It doesn't matter. Nolan leaves it up to us.
5. Talia turns on Bruce (The Dark Knight Rises): Not a huge surprise since many were speculating Miranda Tate was Al Ghul's daughter, Talia, in disguise.
1. Batman interrogates Flass (Batman Begins): See best line No. 1 below.
2. Batman/Gordon cover-up (The Dark Knight): An exhausting ride to this point of the film gets amped up well beyond 10.
3. Batman/Gordon discusses escalation on rooftop (Batman Begins): Welcome to the world of the Joker.
4. John Blake rises (The Dark Knight Rises): A powerful way to conclude the trilogy.
5. Bruce escapes the pit (The Dark Knight Rises): He doesn't need no stinking rope!
1. Batman to Flass: "Do I look like a cop!?!?" (Batman Begins)
2. Gordon: "He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight." (The Dark Knight)
3. Joker: "Why so serious?" (The Dark Knight)
4. Gordon: "I never said thank you." Batman: "And you'll never have to." (Batman Begins)
5. Bane: "Let the games begin!" (The Dark Knight Rises)
- Mark Podolski | @mpodo