Blogs > Tuned in to Pop Culture

They’re not standing around the watercooler, but Cheryl Sadler, Mark Meszoros, Mark Podolski and Nicole Franz are talking about what they’ve been watching, listening to and playing during their free time.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Coming to a close

Mere hours stand between myself and the midnight release of the final film of the Harry Potter series.
 
It’s bittersweet.

As the time draws nearer, I find myself thinking on a regular basis, “Oh my God! Harry Potter is only so many days away!” Or, as I’m writing this, hours.

And although it is extremely exciting and I cannot wait to see how the director has transformed the second portion of my favorite book, I’m sad to see it end.

Pottermore isn’t going to cut it. 

Thirteen years ago, when I was 10 years old, the first book was published in the U.S., and in 2007, when I turned 19, I finished “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” This series has been a part of my entire life - at least the years I can actually, clearly remember.

Although I am very passionate about the books now, I actually had stopped reading them after the fourth book was published.

I couldn’t tell you why -- I just lost interest.

When my grandmother, who was dying of lung cancer, picked up the series, my interest sparked again – mostly as a way to be closer to her and have a connection after she passed away.

The fifth, sixth and seventh books have all been my favorite, with the final being the clear-cut winner.
As for the movies, I have been a fan all along, although when I look back at the first one now, it does feel a little cheesy. The good news for me is that I am bound to be thrilled (and balling my eyes out) while watching the last movie. I have loved the books, but it’s been quite some time since I’ve read them, so I don’t remember all of the minute details that someone else may pick up on if it were to be left out of the film.

I heard a lot of complaints about part one of this movie, due to the fact that it was a slower pace. I personally felt they did a wonderful job with it, and all the detail that I did remember from the book was laid out exactly the way I had imagined it. I remember anticipating watching Harry, Hermoine and Ron in the forest as they were in hiding trying to figure out exactly what to do.

I imagine for those who were disappointed with part one, that part two will differ greatly and you can expect a lot of action, and heartache. If you haven’t read the books,  get ready.

Ohhhh, I love Harry Potter. I wonder if any other series will captivate me the way this one has, and if it will be as long of a ride – 13 years, over half of my life.

-- Caitlin Fertal


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home