Blogs > Tuned in to Pop Culture

They’re not standing around the watercooler, but Cheryl Sadler, Mark Meszoros, Mark Podolski and Nicole Franz are talking about what they’ve been watching, listening to and playing during their free time.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Memorable movie scenes: Can you handle it?

While winding down following a big Easter dinner, I happened across "A Few Good Men" while channel surfing late in the afternoon.

I tuned in about midway through the classic film starring Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson. From that point on, I was in for the remainder. Why? No matter how many times I've seen the final courtroom scene with Cruise and Nicholson, it never gets old. Even my wife dropped everything to watch.

In fact, after a brainstorm session, I would say it's my most memorable and favorite movie scene of all time. After more brainstorming, I came up with a top 10 list, which was not easy. I've seen clips of "Casablanca" and "Gone With the Wind," but never in completion, so those classic scenes didn't make this list. Remember, this is my list, so here we go with the breathtaking and unforgettable:

10. "Shawshank Redemption" - Andy Dufresene's escape from Shawshank prison is riveting, but the cinematography when he tears his shirt off in the rain signifying his freedom is film artwork at its finest.

9. "Star Wars" - Darth Vader's grand entrance on the big screen scared the you-know-what out of one 7-year-old.

8. "Field of Dreams" - Who would have thought catch between a father (John Kinsella) and son (Ray Kinsella) could be so emotional?

7. "E.T." - It's difficult to pick between the magical bike ride and E.T.'s and Elliott's goodbye, so let's lump them together. 

6. "Empire Strikes Back" - Five words: "Luke, I am your father."

5. "Rocky II" - Rocky beats Apollo to 10, wins the belt. Goosebumps.

4. "King Kong" - Kong's last stand atop the Empire State Building might be the most iconic in film history.

3. "Jaws" - "You're gonna need a bigger boat" needs no explanation.

2. "Raiders of the Lost Ark" - The most exciting opening scene in movie history, and it's not even close.

1. "A Few Good Men" - "I want the truth! You can't handle the truth!" Another scene that needs no explanation.

Honorable mention: "Saving Private Ryan" - Opening scene; "When Harry Met Sally" - Cafe scene; "Scarface" - "Say hello to my little friend" scene; "The Natural" - Roy Hobbs' final at-bat scene; "Rocky" - Training scene.

- Mark Podolski

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home