Blogs > Tuned in to Pop Culture

They’re not standing around the watercooler, but Cheryl Sadler, Mark Meszoros, Mark Podolski and Nicole Franz are talking about what they’ve been watching, listening to and playing during their free time.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Heather Morris as the new Buffy?

According to this link, Warner Bros. is slated to remake one of my favorite TV shows from my adolescence: "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer."

Sarah  Michelle Gellar
I used to LOVE this show. In fact, I re-watched the entire series a couple of summers ago while recovering from surgery. I also enjoyed the original movie, although much preferred Sarah Michelle Gellar's Buffy to the ditsy airhead from the flick.

Now, I was initially super stoked upon reading that there was a possible remake in the works. Well, maybe not "super stoked," but generally intrigued. I figured I would certainly enjoy watching it, although it would be really difficult to see another version of the story and not compare it to the series. However, having read that the remake may be made without Buffy director/creator Joss Whedon I feel absolutely depressed.

Those of you who may not be as familiar with Buffy may know Whedon from "Firefly," "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" or "Dollhouse." The man is amazing. He brings an entirely different creative perspective to his projects, and I haven't seen a thing of his that I did not like. That said, an updated take on Buffy could have been golden assuming he'd have some involvement. Alas--it appears as though he won't.

Heather Morris
The link above is saying Heather Morris of "Glee" fame is rumored to be slated for the title role. And while I'm a big Glee fan, and a huge Brittany/Morris fan, I absolutely do not see her rocking out as Buffy. Perhaps it's because I (unfortunately) cannot separate Morris from her character on Glee, but she does not strike me as the first choice to take over the role.

I could be entirely wrong. In fact, I hope I am. I think I would actually enjoy watching Morris attempt the part, and would certainly have a lot of respect for her if she nailed it.

Any other fans of Buffy out there? What do you think of the idea of a remake?

--Danielle Capriato
DCapriato@News-Herald.com

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous vandy said...

from one Joss Whedon fan to another i think (thou it might be good enough for the new fans) us diehard Joss Whedon fans might find it a bit lacking in the "Buffyverse" thou i might give it a try. I do like Heather Morris but Buffy she is not.

December 12, 2010 at 12:31 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I myself was a huge fan of the original series, including the Angel spin-off. And while i do agree that Josh Whedon is very succesful in virtually everything that he's involved in, it might not be the worst idea if a remake of the series is going to be attemted, that some fresh blood wouldn't be the worst idea. As for Heather Morris, this girl is absolutely gorgeous. But nobody has seen her outside of Glee, making it hard to evaluate her acting ability. On the other hand, if she is even being considered as the lead in a remake of such a succesful series, i hope she nails it. I will definetly be watching for this one.

May 29, 2011 at 2:37 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home