Blogs > Tuned in to Pop Culture

They’re not standing around the watercooler, but Cheryl Sadler, Mark Meszoros, Mark Podolski and Nicole Franz are talking about what they’ve been watching, listening to and playing during their free time.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The risings of more "Avatar," Batman movies

I get an e-mail roughly every seven seconds here at The News-Herald. OK, I'm exaggerating, but not by much.

They come fast. They come furious. They often come in duplicate.

Many of them are spam, but most of them are something some public relations person somewhere in the world hopes will pique my interest enough to give it some coverage, be it in print or online.

"Mark, are you planning any holiday gift guides? We have a product that blah, blah, blah" -- many of them go something like that these days. (And, for the record, the answer is no.)

Every once in a while, though, something notable does find its way into my inbox, however. Today it was a release from Fox Filmed Entertainment -- aka 20th Century Fox -- announcing that the next two films made by director James Cameron would be "Avatar 2," slated for December 2014, and "Avatar 3," December 2015.

Was this surprising news? Uh, no.

The Academy Award-nominated "Avatar" -- Cameron's science-fiction adventure that broke box-office records and is responsible for today's 3-D craze -- certainly was going to have a sequel or sequels. But it's a little interesting that the franchise will follow the course set by the "Matrix" and "Pirates of the Caribbean," knocking out two movies in succession and releasing them one year a part. (As a fan of movies, I like this strategy, but it would be easier to be excited if the original films in those franchise gave way to good sequels.)

By 2014, I expect to be thoroughly sick of 3-D; I'm about halfway there now. So this is my plea to Mr. Cameron: Please make "Avatar 2" in 4-D. Know that if I'm not hit in the face by an alien tale 45 minutes into the movie, I'm walking out. You've got the time, sir.

In all seriousness, I'm at least looking somewhat forward to those movies. However, the news that really excited me today was that director Chris Nolan's third Batman film has a title: "The Dark Knight Rises." It's not so much that I like that title -- it's fine -- but it's that a title makes amovie feel more real. It's coming, people.

Nolan's movies are terrific, and he'll no doubt be feeling the pressure to wow the film-going world again following the successes of "The Dark Knight" and "Inception."

Oh, I almost forgot the really good news about Nolan's movie: It will not be shot in 3-D. Bravo. 

Well, I have to go. I just got 700 e-mails.

- Mark Meszoros

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home