Blogs > Tuned in to Pop Culture

They’re not standing around the watercooler, but Cheryl Sadler, Mark Meszoros, Mark Podolski and Nicole Franz are talking about what they’ve been watching, listening to and playing during their free time.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

An ode to 'Summer Girls'

As some readers may know, Cheryl and I kind of have the market on 1990s teeny bopper pop culture coverage here at the N-H blogs. Therefore, it is with heavy heart I feel obligated to share this news.

Rich Cronin, singer/songwriter from boy band LFO, passed away on September 8, 2010 at the age of 35 after a long battle with leukemia.

Bringing such popular hits as "Summer Girls," "Every Other Time," "If I Can't Have You," and "Girl on TV," LFO was a three-man pop group consisting of Cronin, Devin Lima and Brad Fischetti. They were never quite as big as The Backstreet Boys, *NSync or 98 Degrees, but they definitely had their fair share of air time on local radio stations, and, of course, on MTV (back when the station actually played music videos).

I know I was a fan; in the eighth grade, my friend Jane and I even composed a spoof of "Summer Girls" called "Winter Boys." "I like boys who wear Tommy Hillfiger/I'll take him, I guess, go figure!/But he's been gone since that winter, since that winter."

Hey, I didn't say the song was any good.

In any event, LFO has a special place in my heart. So, to commemorate the passing of a member of one of my secret pleasure boy bands, I submit for your viewing pleasure some videos so you can watch, remember, and sing along with some of these old hits.


LFO-"Every Other Time"


LFO-"Summer Girls"


LFO-"Girl on TV"


--Danielle Capriato
DCapriato@News-Herald.com

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home