Blogs > Tuned in to Pop Culture

They’re not standing around the watercooler, but Cheryl Sadler, Mark Meszoros, Mark Podolski and Nicole Franz are talking about what they’ve been watching, listening to and playing during their free time.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fall TV season

I'm not much of a TV person, on account of the fact that my nights have been occupied by work, school, homework or color guard practice for the better part of 12 years. I don't have a DVR and mostly just miss out on whatever cultural revolutions are occurring at prime time.

I'll sure miss seeing this guy's handsome
face every week on "LOST."
"But what about your obsession with 'LOST' and all those audiocasts you did during the final season?"

I got into "LOST" at the suggestion of a few co-workers at my last job and several friends who were obsessed with the series. A subscription to Netflix caught me up quickly enough that I watched the fifth season through VCR recordings, and the final season somewhat live with Entertainment Editor Mark Meszoros, who was kind enough to wait a day or two (and use his DVR) to watch it with me when I had time.

So now that that segment of my life is over (I'll never let go, Jack), I'm not sure what -- if anything -- can fill the TV void.

News-Herald TV critic David S. Glasier previewed the upcoming TV season in today's News-Herald, and he notes "The Event" will fit into the "LOST"-sized hole in all of our hearts (and DVRs [except mine, which doesn't exist (the DVR, not the heart)]). Meszoros and I have discussed giving it a try, and maybe if we can talk fellow "LOST" fanatic and Sports Editor Mark Podolski into it, we'll be doing another audiocast that follows this series. I really know nothing about it except that I'm supposed to like it. The previews kind of make it look like "Flash Forward" or "V" -- neither of which I've seen nor have any interest in -- so I don't know if I'll be giving up on "The Event" after its premiere next Monday.

A show I might actually like to give a chance to is "My Generation," which Glasier pooh poohed. Then again, I am a twentysomething who was in high school in the year 2000, and he was ... not. I'm interested because the cast is my generation and because I'm wondering what drama will be unfolding with or without Facebook, which most of my high school classmates seem to be members of. Facebook kind of replaces the need for face-to-face drama when you can just passive-aggressively judge your peers by their pictures and status updates (and the amount of time they spend on Farmville and Mafia Wars). I have a feeling I'll mostly be missing out on this one, however, because I can't imagine Meszoros finds the premise interesting, nor would he want to waste the DVR space on it.

If you're looking for a new TV show this fall, Associated Press writer Frazier Moore gave his thoughts on the 10 new shows to consider in last Sunday's News-Herald. Any suggestions for what I should tune in for? (Or, rather, make Meszoros set his DVR for?)


-- Cheryl Sadler
CSadler@News-Herald.com

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home