Blogs > Tuned in to Pop Culture

They’re not standing around the watercooler, but Cheryl Sadler, Mark Meszoros, Mark Podolski and Nicole Franz are talking about what they’ve been watching, listening to and playing during their free time.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

An ode to Christopher Nolan



By Nick Carrabine
NCarrabine@News-Herald.com


As I blogged about in February of 2009, director Christopher Nolan is one of the few gentleman included on my man-crush list.

I wrote that blog as soon as they announced Inception would be the next movie he was directing.

Seventeen months later, Inception has been released to the world and may be Nolan’s most confusing and complicated work so far.

This blog isn’t reviewing Inception, but rather an ode to someone who at the age of 39, seriously will be considered as one of the best directors of all time in the coming decades.

The man has already created my favorite movie of all-time (Memento), another one in my top five (The Prestige) and completely blew away every other director who tried to rebuild the Batman series (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight.)

Out of the seven feature films he has directed, five of them appear on IMDB’s Top 250 movies of all time list. Three of them in the top 30. Two of them in the top 12.

Reminder: He's 39.

I know a thing or two about IMDB Top 250 list. In college, I subscribed to Netflix and pretty much went on down the Top 250 list and started renting the majority of them and then continued to buy most of them as well.

The point of this blog is, Nolan makes his viewers think like no other director out there. Whether you understand the film, like it or hate it, it leaves a lasting impression on the viewer.

After my first viewing of Inception, I labeled it Nolan’s fifth best movie, but here I am five days later still reading up on it, still trying to figure out what happened, and still toying around with multiple theories of what really occurred, or should I say, what didn’t occur.

I think I’m finally starting to understand what really happened in Inception, but if someone sat me down in a chair and forced me to explain my theory to their face, I wouldn’t even know where to start.

Nolan’s movies are not meant to only be viewed once and I most definitely plan on seeing Inception again in the theaters in the coming days. I’m not even so sure his movies are ever supposed to be fully figured out, as it’s completely obvious Inception is open to interpretation following the ending.

At only 39-years-old, Nolan truly has the potential to be one of the most legendary directors of all-time with thought provoking films that leave people guessing, wondering and questioning for years upon years after a film’s release.

The truth is, I don’t think there is a truth to Inception. But I do know it will undoubtedly be one of the most talked about and debated films of the year, if not decade.

Thanks Nolan, for providing the discussion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home