Ten in the Morning: Bad ideas bound to happen
Which is to say, it's not a good era right now for movie making. Studios are reluctant to take on fresh, original ideas. The risk of losing millions is too great. Instead, they bank on the sure thing: Remakes. It's simple reasoning.
Remakes get people to their local cineplex because they're familiar with the product or the name.
This decade alone, we've seen countless remakes. Most are bad and would have been better off never made. More are on the way.
Until then, Ten in the Morning counts down the list of movies that should never be remade:
10. Poseidon Adventure: Oops, Hollywood already remade this one, starring Kurt Russell. A big-time trainwreck. See what I mean?
9. Raiders of the Lost Ark: No objections here to casting a new Indiana Jones in place of Harrison Ford, but leave this classic adventure locked away in a warehouse.
8. Goodfellas: Just leave it alone.
7. Planet of the Apes: Oops, they remade this classic as well. Getting the picture?
6. Apocalypse Now: They just don't make movies like this one anymore. It's so unique that if even the best director tries to tackle it, they would likely fail.
5. Back to the Future: A fun, fun movie, one that's difficult to NOT watch when it's on. I can see it now: Shia Labeouf in the role of Michael J. Fox's Marty McFly. (I'm shaking my head as I write this.)
4. The Breakfast Club: Another role awaits Labeuf for this 80s teenage classic.
3. Star Wars (The original): George Lucas will likely never let it happen (thank goodness), but you know someone, somewhere is dying to remake it.
2. The Godfather: Who could be possibly be cast in this era to fill Brando's and Pacino's shoes?
1. Jaws: If this movie is ever remade, it will be a sad, sad day.
- Mark Podolski