Blogs > Tuned in to Pop Culture

They’re not standing around the watercooler, but Cheryl Sadler, Mark Meszoros, Mark Podolski and Nicole Franz are talking about what they’ve been watching, listening to and playing during their free time.

Friday, January 23, 2009

'Rocky' book stirs up great memories




Childhood memories are some of the best a person can have. It takes one back to a time without the responsibilities that come with adulthood and, many times, can help shape the person you are today.

Which brings me to today's topic: My love of movies. Whether she knows it or not, no one was more influential for that than my aunt Sheila. She spent her career as an art teacher in the New Philadelphia school system and is now enjoying retirement. She is an immensely talented artist. She also loves going to the movies.

I always looked forward to her taking my brother and I to an afternoon movie while growing up as kids in the 1980s. Whether it was "Superman: The Movie" or "Return of the Jedi" -- two that come to mind -- it was always a treat when Aunt Sheila called Mom and asked if the boys wanted to see a movie.

As a movie buff, Sheila also had plenty of cool stuff -- books, posters, you name it -- in her apartment. Recently, it was time for her to get rid of some of that stuff, which became great news for me.

While going through her collection, she came upon a book she thought would be of interest to me. Was it ever. The book titled "The Official Rocky Scrapbook," written by Sylvester Stallone in 1977, one year after the release of the Academy Award-winning movie, will now be forever treasured as one of my favorite Rocky items.

Talk about a blast from the past. Anyone who knows me knows my affection for what I consider one of the greatest movies ever made, and this books tells the story of Stallone's incredible journey getting the movie made and boasts plenty behind-the-scenes photos any Rocky fan would love.

But more than anything, the book took me back to my youth, when Aunt Sheila opened my eyes to wonderful world of movies. Thanks again, Aunt Sheila. The book will be forever cherished.

- Mark Podolski

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home