'Resident Evil' tops 'Finding Nemo' at weekend box office
A better weekend at the box office than previously, but the numbers are nothing like during summer blockbuster season.
If you're itching to hear about what's coming up in theaters this fall, check out the 2012 fall film preview and our podcast on fall movies.
From The Associated Press:
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Where available, latest international numbers are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.
1. “Resident Evil: Retribution,” $21.1 million ($50 million international).
2. “Finding Nemo,” $17.5 million. (Review by The News-Herald's Mark Meszoros: Pixar classic 'Finding Nemo 3D' jumps to slightly new depths)
3. “The Possession,” $5.8 million. (Review by The AP's Frank Scheck: Matisyah, Kyra Sedgwick can't exorcise demons of low-rent 'The Possession')
4. “Lawless,” $4.2 million. (Review by The AP's Christy Lemire: 'Lawless' a visceral, fitful fever dream)
5. “ParaNorman,” $3 million. (Review by The AP's Jake Coyle: Weak writing trumps powerful puppetry in 'ParaNorman')
6. “The Expendables 2,” $3 million ($7.5 million international). (Review by The AP's Justin Lowe: 'Expendables 2' provides crucial end-of-summer action)
7. “The Words,” $2.88 million. (Review by Lemire: Bradley Cooper leads appealing cast in cliched, complicated 'The Words')
8. “The Bourne Legacy,” $2.875 million ($9.1 million international).(Review by Meszoros: 'Bourne Legacy' solid, but feels like it’s keeping things warm for Damon)
9. “The Odd Life of Timothy Green,” $2.5 million. (Review by The AP's David Germain: 'The Odd Life of Timothy Green' fails to inspire)
10. “The Campaign,” $2.4 million. (Review by the AP's Michael Rechtshaffen: 'The Campaign' is flimsy political satire)
— Cheryl Sadler | CSadler@News-Herald.com | @nhcheryl