'Hotel Transylvania' wins weekend box office
(I inadvertently forgot about posting last weekend's box office numbers, so apologies to those of you who were looking for them and just couldn't figure out where else on the Internet you would find them.)
From The Associated Press:
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Where available, latest international numbers are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.
1. "Hotel Transylvania," $43 million ($8.1 million international). (Review by The AP's Michael Rechtshaffen: 'Hotel Transylvania' is frighteningly unfunny stuff)
2. "Looper," $21.2 million ($8.5 million international). Review by The AP's Christy Lemire: 'Looper' intriguing sci-fi adventure with Bruce Willis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt)
3. "End of Watch," $8 million. (Review by Lemire: 'End of Watch breathes new life into buddy-cops genre)
4. "Trouble with the Curve," $7.5 million. (Review by The News-Herald's Mark Meszoros: Eastwood, Adams throw straight, but 'Trouble with the Curve' bungles the baseball)
5. "House at the End of the Street," $7.2 million ($1.5 million international).
6. "Pitch Perfect," $5.2 million. (Review by Lemire: Anna Kendrick helps make 'Pitch Perfect' infectiously catchy)
7. "Finding Nemo," $4.1 million ($1.1 million international). (Review by Meszoros: Pixar classic 'Finding Nemo 3D' jumps to slightly new depths)
8. "Resident Evil: Retribution," $3 million ($20.7 million international).
9. "The Master," $2.75 million. (Review by Meszoros: Hoffman, Phoenix give masterful performances in compelling, challenging 'The Master')
10. "Won't Back Down," $2.7 million. (Review by The AP's David Germain: Education drama 'Won't Back Down' fails to make the grade)
— Cheryl Sadler | CSadler@News-Herald.com | @nhcheryl