Blogs > Tuned in to Pop Culture

They’re not standing around the watercooler, but Cheryl Sadler, Mark Meszoros, Mark Podolski and Nicole Franz are talking about what they’ve been watching, listening to and playing during their free time.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Learning to count, Star Wars style

4, 5, 6 ... 1, 2, 3?

Thank you, George Lucas.

As my 3-year-old boy Samson gets to the stage of his life when he's learning to count, before I know it, the time will come when I'll introduce him to one of the greatest movie franchises in history: The Stars Wars trilogy, times 2.

Here's the difficult decision: Do we start with Episode IV: A New Hope (aka, Star Wars), then onto Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: The Return of the Jedie? Or do we start with Episode I: The Phantom Menace, then Episode II: The Attack of the Clones and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith?

Easy as 1, 2, 3, right? Not so fast.

How could I deny my boy the excitement of where it all began in 1977, when I, as a 7-year-old, could hardly contain myself in anticipation for the original? How I could I deny my boy the moment when Darth Vader reveals to Luke he is his father in Empire?

(Note: I brought this up to my wife a while back. She just shook her head, and had to be thinking, "Who is this dork I married?)

Numerically, it makes sense to start with The Phantom Menace, but Samson's venture into the Star Wars saga will begin with A New Hope. The numbers will be jumbled, but he'll figure it out, and enjoy it all the more.
   
- Mark Podolski

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home