Blogs > Tuned in to Pop Culture

They’re not standing around the watercooler, but Cheryl Sadler, Mark Meszoros, Mark Podolski and Nicole Franz are talking about what they’ve been watching, listening to and playing during their free time.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

A working man gets a Rush from the mail

I used to get all kinds of good mail here at The News-Herald. As "the entertainment guy," I'd get my fair share of CDs, a DVD now and then and lots of little promotional trinkets. But, in this digital age, most of that stuff has stopped coming, replaced by links for album downloads and the like.

Sure, I still get plenty of mail, but most of it isn't too exciting -- a press kit here, a pay-to-publish book there. So last week when I opened up a large envelope I had no high expectations. When out fell the DVD for Rush's "Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland" I was excited. I'm a longtime fan of the Canadian prog-rock trio, sure, but, no doubt like a few of you, I was at this show. I was one of the 20,000 or so fans that packed Quicken Loans Arena for an evening with Rush in April.

It was a really solid show, the band picking and choosing cuts from their entire, nearly four-decades-long career. And while I was most thrilled to hear middle/late-career songs "Presto" (one of my absolute Rush faves) and "Marathon," the draw for most was hearing "Moving Pictures" in its entirety. That album, released 30 years ago and probably the band's most popular work, boasts "Tom Sawyer," "Red Barchetta" and "YYZ."

Of course, if you're a true Rush fan, you know that one of the evening's top highlights will come fairly late in the night -- and that it will be well worth the wait. And drumming great Neil Peart's solo that night was well worth the wait, confirmed by watching the track, titled "Moto Perpetuo (featuring Love for Sale)," on the DVD. Peart is a joy to watch and hear, as are his counterparts, bassist-vocalist Geddy Lee (OK, he used to sound better, but he still gets it done) and guitarist Alex Lifeson. Spending time with the DVD over the last few days has given me a new appreciation for Lifeson. Yes, he still falls behind Peart and Lee in the talent department, but the man is no slouch.

Here's a sampling from the DVD, a nice combination of early numbers "Presto" and "Faithless":



"Tiem Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland" comes out Tuesday on DVD and Blu-ray. If you're a fan of the band -- if you keep them closer to the heart -- and especially if you saw the show, I recommend picking it up.

-- Mark Meszoros | Entertainment@News-Herald.com | @nhfeatures

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home