Blogs > Tuned in to Pop Culture

They’re not standing around the watercooler, but Cheryl Sadler, Mark Meszoros, Mark Podolski and Nicole Franz are talking about what they’ve been watching, listening to and playing during their free time.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Told you so...sort of

I believe a certain someone told you that the Grammy award for Album of the Year would have gone to either Arcade Fire or Lady Antebellum.

However, I must admit, while watching the show, and watching Lady Antebellum pick up awards for Record of the Year and Song of the Year, which essentially is the same award repeated, I thought it was a lock they would have gone home with the top award.

Not to mention, Arcade Fire didn’t even beat out the Black Keys for alternative rock album, so how they lost that award, but won album of the year, is truly mind-boggling.

Lady Gaga and Katy Perry never stood a chance and as I mentioned, rap albums don’t win the top award (once in the show’s history to be exact.)

The night’s biggest surprise is when the Spalding basketball won best new artist, which I never for a minute thought it’d go to Justin Bieber, but rather either Mumford and Sons or Florence and the Machine.

Speaking of Mumford and Sons, I thought they had the best performance of the night when they performed “The Cave” (which I erroneously reported as "Little Lion Man" previously.) I was also very impressed with the performances of B.o.B, Bruno Mars and Janelle Monae, which had a very 1950s vibe.

I was somewhat disappointed with Eminem’s performance, which I was looking forward to the most. First off, the guy didn’t even perform anything off Recovery, which was nominated for 10 grammys. Instead, he performed “Love the Way You Lie Part II,” which is actually off Rihanna’s Loud album. He then went into “I need a Doctor” which is on the upcoming Detox album from Dr. Dre (Which has been “upcoming” for the past 10 years). “I Need A Doctor” was a much better performance as there was some microphone issues with Em’s verse on “Love the Way You Lie Part II.” You couldn’t even hear him for the first few seconds.

The rest of the three and a half hour telecast was extremely nauseating.

While I completely couldn’t stomach the performance of Justin Bieber, Usher and Jaden Smith, I did think it was somewhat cool after the performance when they showed Jaden’s dad, Will Smith (perhaps you’ve heard of him?) yelling “that’s my baby” over and over.

All in all, if you were one of the lucky ones to have missed the grammys Sunday night, I envy you. I’m not sure which is more embarrassing, the fact I watched the grammys from start to finish, or the fact I sat there with my computer tweeting about it dozens of times. But hey, I had to keep myself entertained somehow.

Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and that Spalding ball sure didn’t.

By Nick Carrabine
NCarrabine@News-Herald.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home