Ten in the Morning: Manly movies
Ah yes, the season has already begun. The summer blockbuster movie season.
It all started in 1975 with "Jaws" and has continued every summer since. Why do I love summer blockbusters? Because a lot of them are what I call "Manly Movies," testosterone-laced and action-packed. You gotta love 'em. That is, if you're a man. A manly man.
So in honor of manly men, Ten in the Morning counts down the 10 best manly movies, including top manly moments and classic quotes from each.
10. Pulp fiction (1994): An intertwining tale of two hitmen (John Travolta and Samuel Jackson), a boxer (Bruce Willis) and a crime boss (Ving Rhames) is non-stop fun from every angle imaginable.
Manly moment - Jules denying the robbery attempt of Pumpkin (Tim Roth) and Honey Bunny (Amanda Plummer) at the Hawthorne Grill.
Classic quote: "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men ..." Jules (Jackson)
9. Glengarry Glen Ross (1992): Ever had fun messing around with your friends to find out who can issue the best verbal beatdown? Ladies, it's a guy thing. If so, this is your kind of film.
Manly moment: Take your pick. Blake (Alec Baldwin), Ricky Roma (Al Pacino) and Shelley "The Machine" Levene" (Jack Lemon) all berate fellow co-workers in their cut-throat real estate office world. Truly epic performances by all.
Classic quote: "Coffee is for closers." Blake (Alec Baldwin)
8. The Godfather (1972): The tale of the most famous fictional crime family in movie history has everything you could want in a mafia movie.
Manly moment: Sonny Corleone (James Caan) taking about 137 bullets before finally dying.
Classic quote: "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse." Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando)
7. First Blood (1982): Pretty much Rocky with a knife in army boots.
Manly moment: John Rambo (Sylvester Stallone) stitching up a huge gash on his left arm by himself.
Classic quote: "Don't push it or I'll give you a war you won't believe." Rambo
6. Caddyshack (1980): Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield and Co. wreak havoc on an exclusive golf club. Guys being guys at its funniest.
Manly moment: Judge Smals (the late Ted Knight) taking a golf shot in the you-know-what and still finishing his round of golf.
Classic quote: "It's in the hole! It's in the hole!" Carl Spackler (Murray)
5. Fight Club (1999): An office sap (Edward Norton) and Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) create an organization to help vent male aggression. Need I say more?
Manly moment: Norton's character (he's nameless in the film) beating the crap out of himself in his boss' office.
Classic quote: "The first rule of fight club is you do not talk about fight club." Durden
4. Dirty Harry (1971): This film holds up very well almost 40 years later, especially the badder-than-bad Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood), who has little regard for the rules while tracking a seriel killer.
Manly moment: Harry catching two robbers while casually finishing his lunch.
Classic quote: "Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" Harry
3. Rocky III (1982): Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) must regain his championship belt from the brutal Clubber Lang (Mr. T) with the help of past nemesis Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers).
Manly moment - Rocky tossing Thunderlips (Hulk Hogan), the ultimate object of desire - as he's so aptly described in the film - out of the ring during a boxing/wrestling crossover charity match.
Classic quote - "Prediction? Pain!" Clubber Lang
2. Die Hard (1988): John McClain (Bruce Willis) battles a band of terrorists hell bent on taking over L.A.'s Nakatomi Tower. It's non-stop action at its finest.
Manly moment - A bloody and barefooted McClain jumping off the Nakatomi Tower with a firehose attached to his waist.
Classic quote - "Yippee ki yay mother******." McClain
1. Predator (1987): You want testosterone? You've got testosterone. Arnold Schwarzenneger, Carl Weathers, Jesse Ventura - big, bad men going after one big, bad alien in a jungle fight to the finish.
Manly moment - Dutch (Schwarzenneger) fighting one on one with the Predator in the film's climax.
Classic Quote - "I ain't got time to bleed." Blain (Jesse Ventura)
- Mark Podolski